Jo Ellen Kelley Simpson Scholarship
Mrs. Simpson was a loving, kindergarten teacher who served School District 308 students at
Boulder Hill Elementary School for 16 years. She was also committed to lifelong learning. Her
commitment to making learning fun while teaching students the skills to read and write were
evident to all who knew her. Not one to keep the same lesson plans year after year, Jo was
continually improving, always striving to excite her students through new and creative ideas.
She was willing to share concepts with colleagues and make learning fun and exciting for her
students. Mrs. Simpson provided stability, sincerity and a genuine friendliness to the Boulder Hill
Elementary School community.
This scholarship is for two graduating seniors from either Community Unit School District #308
high school and either attended Boulder Hill Elementary or had Mrs. Simpson as a teacher. The
scholarship is in the amount of $500.00 for each student. This $500.00 scholarship is a onetime
1. Applicant must be a 2023 graduating student from either of the SD308 high schools.
2. Applicant must have attended Boulder Hill or have been a student of Mrs. Simpson.
3. Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative high school GPA.
4. Financial need is not a basis for receiving this scholarship.
5. Applicant must have applied and received an acceptance letter to a 2/4 year college.
6. Applicant must complete the Simpson/OFEE Scholarship Application and return it to high school’s
Student Services and specified materials by the application deadline date.
1. Complete the Simpson/OFEE Scholarship Application.
2. Attach a current copy of official high school transcripts.
3. Attach a letter of acceptance (if available) from college that the applicant plans to
4. Attach a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher. (See this form.)
5. Completed application and attachments need to be returned to high school Student Services by
Thursday, April 25, 2023.
6. OFEE Scholarship Selection Committee will review the applications.
Distribution of Scholarship:
1. The OFEE Scholarship Selection Committee will review all applications.
2. Scholarship recipient will be recognized at his/her high school senior awards night.
3. Disbursement of scholarship funds to recipient will occur at the senior awards event.
.** Completed application and attachments need to be returned to high school
Student Services by Thursday, April 25, 2023.